Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Why I still believe - in the church

I figured after my last post that I should chase it with a more normal one.

The biggest reason I still believe in the church is that it has saved my butt - literally. The great friends I have, my calling, and mostly, the way I feel when I am there. There have been many Sundays where I have thought: "I've been really good at going to church every week, I don't really feel like facing the world today, so I can skip this week and pick up next week". I'm glad to say that I have gone every Sunday anyway. If one can drag one's self kicking and screaming anywhere, then I have done it on my way to church. I'm such an idiot. If I could always just remember the peace I feel and the strength I get from just being there, then I wouldn't ever doubt the need to go. I have, without fail, always felt better (and by that I mean stronger and more at peace) after having been there than when I reluctantly arrived 3 hours earlier.  All of this in spite of being shunned by some people.  I have sometimes wondered if I have a scarlet letter tattooed on my forehead - not sure if it's 'D' for Divorcee or 'P' for Poophead but I'm not upset by it.  We don't always know what to say to people who are suffering publicly.  I hold no grudges.  What has helped me is some advice I once heard that has really stuck with me.  It goes like this: "be where you are supposed to be - when you are supposed to be there."  Sounds a lot like 'Just Do It' to me.  The church, and the great members of my ward have been a tremendous blessing to me.
That is why I don't get people like the latest zealot, (why does it seem like they are always from Texas?) a Dr. Robert Jeffress, to claim, in his infinite wisdom and expertise that I am not a Christian. And how does he know this? Because he has a PhD from a 'seminary'. Didn't you know? All the apostles and prophets from the Bible went to 'seminary', got a PhD, preached at a mega church for hours about how Oprah Winfrey is the devil and judged other people who didn't share their beliefs with impunity and authority. Or was that the Pharisees? Sorry, us dumb Mormons don't know our bible 'that good.' After all, we are a cult. Just like all the other cults that have millions of members and have been around for almost 200 years. Last time I checked most cults were of the 'flash-in-the-pan' variety like the ones led by Jim Jones and David Koresh. They have far more questionable beginnings than the church, much shorter life spans, and the worst part about them is their endings -which are never good and almost always involve the FBI. Unfortunately for Mr. Jeffress, and others who share his opinion, the Mormon 'cult' has no end in sight. It will be a thorn in his side until he can either decisively prove it is an illegitimate cult or accept it for the only real alternative to that - the true and living restored church of Christ. To the honest casual observer it has to look more like the stone, seen by Daniel, cut out of the mountain without hands that is rolling forward to fill the earth and much less like a group of deranged people whose faith is built on a sandy foundation. Many storms have descended on the church in the last 180 years which would have washed it away if it was built upon anything besides solid bedrock. If Joseph Smith was the fraud some claim him to be then he is by far the most successful charlatan in modern history. He must have been a gifted liar to perpetuate his lies for such a long time after his death. That is an amazing feat.

Another of the great reasons I still have faith is one of my friends here in our ward. I share part of  his story here (we all have a story, don't we?) and I do so with his permission:  Kenny is in his mid-twenties, is married, has two really cute kids and is one of a handful of men I regularly put my arm around and say “I love you, man”. Every time I see him, which is usually Wednesday nights (when we do our elders quorum visits) and Sundays, I tell him that he renews my faith in humanity. And I sincerely mean it. When I first met him about two years ago he was just starting to come back to church after years of what I will only describe as 'riotous living'. He was shy and unsure of himself but he wanted to make a change in his life and had begun the process. It is a process that involves more than just praising Jesus and 'accepting' him as your Savior. It is hard work and it can be painful. I don't know all of the details of Kenny's journey back to the straight and narrow but I know some of them and I admire him for his dedication. He is now a secretary in our elder’s quorum presidency and in his words "lives for Wednesday nights".  He likes that he can go out and tell his story and encourage others who are struggling and promise them that if the Lord could help him then He would surely help them. I love it when I get paired with Kenny for visits. When it's his turn to talk I just sit back, watch and listen. Kenny is not a scriptorian or a doctrinal expert like many consider Mr. Jeffress to be. He is just a humble, peaceable follower of Christ doing his best to serve God and others and I love him for it.  When Kenny speaks he does so from his own well of personal experience. He speaks simply and openly about his faith and testimony and he makes a difference.
No one can tell him he is not a Christian. Kenny knows the Savior and the power and personal nature of his atonement from his own upward journey. He doesn't have a PhD that gives him authority to tell his story - he has lived it.  How can you tell someone their experience is wrong?  I don't get it.
In my opinion that is what Mr. Jeffress is up against - and I don't think he has any idea of the depth of his problem. There are millions of Mormon 'Kennys' out there with similar stories and the number will continue to increase. So to Mr. Jeffress I would ask this: how could an illegitmiate, fraudulent cult produce so much good in the world? Until you can answer that I don't think you have any business calling the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints a cult.
Some would argue that Mormons are guilty of the same rhetoric when discussing other religions. And, yes, at times, we are. When we call others names and act like we know everything then we are not acting Christlike at all. Shame on us when we treat others like that.  LDS missionaries don't do it and are taught not to do it - it's counter-productive anyway!  All they do is seek out anyone who will listen who may be looking for something more.
One night after our visits Kenny and I sat in my car and talked for a long time about life, our personal struggles, and our shared hope for the future. He told of some of his mistakes (I assured him he was not the only one who ever made any) and his struggles to get back to where he is. We talked about the atonement - its 'infinite and eternal' nature and the reality that it can help us with all of our problems - not just our sins. Infinite and Eternal. To me that means it covers everything and that it does so forever. At times during that discussion it felt like the Lord was very close to two of his sons who had suffered through some tough times - both from their own mistakes (believe me I’ve made my share) and the actions of others. We both felt an assurance that we were loved by God and that He would help us with our troubles. How can Mr. Jeffress tell me that I am not a Christian when I profess faith in him, back it up with trying to help others to know Him, and then feel so close to Him when I do it?
I have had the privelage of watching Kenny's transformation and it has been really fun to see.  His story gives me hope that better things are ahead for me too.
Kenny texted me a few nights ago when I was on my way home from work and asked if he could borrow some sugar - don't worry, I didn't text him back while I was driving:). He was making cookies for his kids for family home evening and was a cup short. He came over to get it and then wanted to pay me for the sugar. I told him that I would not accept his money. Instead I told him: “you just keep being you and we’ll call it even”.  He said he could handle that.

1 comment:

  1. I am not embarrassed about being Mormon. It is who I am. What I feel when someone says that we aren't Christian (among all of the other crazy things people say), is sadness. For someone to mock what I hold sacred hurts me. Why do people have to bash other religions? Wars are fought over religion. I'll never understand it.

    I love your testimony, Kevin. You will always be true. Love you.

    ReplyDelete